Rocket League Season 8 kicks off today with a surprise street racing theme. Just before the new season begins, a new game update has launched on all platforms, bringing a new arena and a barrage of bug fixes. Let's take a look at the Rocket League Update v2.20 Patch Notes to find out what's new in the latest update.
Season 8 start time
Rocket League Season 8 kicks off today (7 September) at 4pm BST/ 8am PDT / 3PM UTC.
A new Rocket League Season wouldn't be complete without a new Rocket Pass. For the first time, the Season 8 Rocket Pass includes a real-world car, with the Honda Civic Type R hot hatch joining Rocket League.
New Arena: Sovereign Heights
One of the Season 8 highlights is a brand new arena. Set at night in an urban environment, Sovereign Heights is available in Private Matches and Free Play. In response to community feedback, the arena features a grass/turf field.
Voice chat update
Rocket League update v2.20 introduces a new Toggle Mute option for voice chat, an option that has been requested by the community for a long time. By default, Toggle Mute is set to “F” (keyboard), L3 (PlayStation), or LS (Switch and Xbox).
In addition, update v2.20 fixes a few bugs including a glitch where the game wasn’t playing in a higher resolution on PlayStation 5 when in Quality mode.
For a rundown of all the changes, new content, and bug fixes in the latest, check out the Rocket League update v2.20 patch notes below.
Rocket League Update v2.20 Patch Notes
- v2.20 prepares Rocket League for Season 8
- Season 8 begins on 9/7/2022 at 8 a.m. PDT / 3 p.m. UTC
- Look for additional patch notes detailing Season 8 before the season begins
New Arena: Sovereign Heights
- Sovereign Heights is now available in Private Matches, and Free Play
- Based on community feedback, we equipped this new arena with a grass/turf field. Enjoy!
Changes and updates
Changes to Voice Chat (Toggle Mute)
- Based on community feedback, we have added Toggle Mute as a Voice Chat function option in Rocket League
- Under Settings -> Chat, we replaced the Push to Talk checkbox with a new Voice Input Mode dropdown
- Open Mic: Microphone is active all the time, no control input needed
- Push to Talk: Control input activates microphone in game
- Toggle Mute: Microphone is active; control input toggles mute
- The Push to Talk/Toggle Mute default input is set to “F” (keyboard), L3 (PlayStation), LS (Switch and Xbox)
- Clubs: Removed MOTD/news sections from Club pages
- We opted to remove these features from Clubs due to moderation concerns
- Added a banner for the 2021-22 RLCS World Champions Team BDS to Champions Field
- Fixed a placement bug with the party icon on the scoreboard
- Adjusted appearance of several Decals on the Nissan Z so they appear the same way as on other car bodies
- Updates to Custom Training packs will no longer corrupt pack progress
- Progress may look incorrect in the training pack browser for some packs, but will appear correctly once the player loads the pack
- Fixed a bug preventing some players from being able to join Voice Channels
- Player names will now display properly in Private Matches when spectating
- Fixed a visual bug with the Hot Wheels Fast 4WD and MR11 Team Decals
- Fixed a bug that caused multiple Paint Finishes to appear darker than intended, including ‘Bling,’ ‘Grassy,’ and ‘Glossy’
- [PlayStation 5] Fixed a bug preventing Rocket League from playing at the correct, higher resolution when the console is set to Quality mode
- Fixed a bug preventing Apex Wheels from being equippable on the BMW M240i
- [Custom Training] UI now updates correctly when controls are changed
- Fixed a bug preventing players from canceling matchmaking when on the Training Arena select screen
- Players who leave a match will no longer show up in the skip goal replay list
- Fixed a bug preventing players from seeing their own messages in chat
- Fixed the Clear All Friend Requests modal so it works as intended