Formula 1 isn't an individual sport. Despite the driver being in the spotlight, there are hundreds of people behind the scenes working hard to get the best possible result. Included in this is your race engineer, which you can push to talk to in F1 22.
So, how can you do this? And what can you ask your engineer about in F1 22? We've got everything you need to know right here!
Jeff is gone
Long-time Formula 1 game race engineer Jeff has been replaced for F1 22. In his place is former McLaren engineer Marc "Elvis" Priestly. Priestly is more famous today as a F1 author and his inclusion in the F1 game is very welcome.
Speaking to Marc can tell you everything from the fastest lap of the race to what the weather is likely to do in the next 20 minutes.
Marc's role is exactly the same as a real race engineer, as he'll relay important information to you when it comes in. You won't need to ask for it, but you can have this repeated to you at any time.
How to talk to Marc
The only time when you can't speak to Marc is when you're in the pit-lane. This is true for both the pits themselves and the pit exit, but you can speak again once you leave it.
It should also be noted that you can speak commands to your engineer if you have a headset connected to your console that has a mic. Be sure to speak clearly, and the good voice recognition will work a treat.
What you can talk to Marc about
The push to talk to your race engineer feature has been in the Formula 1 games for years now. In that time, the number of options available to you has increased massively and now there are three pages of choices.
Have a look for yourself in the F1 22 game, but we'll highlight a few of the best ones here:
- Box this lap - This will ensure your pit crew are ready for you at the end of your current lap.
- Who Am I Racing? - This command lets you know who you're predicted to be close to when the pit stops have all been completed.
- Weather Report - The engineer will inform you of the weather forecast for the next 20 minutes of the session.
- Teammate/Rival Status - Will inform you of the position, tyre status and pace of your teammate/rival.
- Championship Standings - The engineer will read out the driver's standings as it stands.
- More/Fewer Updates - Will change the frequency of the radio messages from Marc.