For the first time in the series' history, F1 22 will let you drive Safety Cars. When F1 22 launches in July, you’ll be able to take the official 2022 Aston Martin Vantage and Mercedes-AMG GT Black Series Safety Cars for a spin around the track. But F1 22 isn’t the only racing game with driveable safety cars.
Audi R8 Safety Car available in RaceRoom
As a “gesture of gratitude” to the community, Sector3 Studios is giving players free access to the Audi R8 safety car in RaceRoom.
While the safety car can’t be used in single-player races with AI, it can be used to perform manual formation laps in online league and community races.
By contrast, F1 22’s Safety Cars can’t be used in racing scenarios and are limited to Time Trials, but in RaceRoom players can act as a Safety Car Driver. If you prefer, you can take the Safety Car for a test drive around any track in single player.
How to unlock the Audi R8 Safety Car in RaceRoom
If you want to become a Safety Car driver in RaceRoom, there are a few steps you need to access it. Here's how to unlock the Audi R8 Safety Car in RaceRoom.
First, you need to join the online RaceRoom Discord server here. Head to the Roles section and select “SC Driver” to let the admins know you want to a role of safety car.
This will give you access to the Safety Car channel on the server, where you’ll find a redemption code. Go to your in-game wallet, select “Redeem code,” and enter the code to access the Safety Car in RaceRoom. You can even assign a key to activate the flashing lights.
It’s worth noting, however, that the Safety Car doesn’t add formation laps and Full Course Yellow (FCY) functionality to the game automatically, so these settings need to be adjusted manually.
You can find more details about the RaceRoom Audi R8 Safety Car in the disclaimer notes provided by Sector3 Studios below:
- The SC is not intended to be used in Single Player / with AI.
- The SC is not intended to be raced against other SC’s
- The SC driver will use a player slot on a MP server.
- The SC does not add formation lap or FCY functionality to the game automatically.
- Brief your drivers if you intend to use it.
- The SC is not being timed/scored by the sim, so it doesn’t interfere with race standings.
- Add the SC to the car selection when setting up the server.
To use the roof lights press the “Flash Headlights” key.
Collisions are enabled.
- SC will grid between P1 and P2 on the starting grid of the race.
- If you want a regular standing start and have the safety car simply available during the race, make sure “Delayed start from pitlane” server settings has a non null value. Then the SC driver should not click to grid before that timeout has elapsed. The SC will then spawn in the pitlane, ready to be used.
- If you intend to use the SC during a race session, stopping the SC should be done inside the pitlane limits (the same lines as the speed limitations), engine can be turned off. ESC shouldn’t be pressed as you wouldn’t be allowed back.
- SC driver needs to be doing at least the pit speed limit other wise he is ghosted.
- Third party apps like OtterHud might not work correctly for the SC driver